2 replies to this topic

#1 mcf

mcf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

Is anyone here a member of Webshots ?

I joined about 15 years ago, uploaded a few things before we called it "the cloud"  and sort of forgot about it.

A few days ago I got an email from them wishing me happy birthday, apologising for not being in touch, and using the old username I had used there!

I went to the site (not from the link in the mail) to sign in. I knew my old password but pretended I didn't cause I didn't want to use the old. So I get the usual screen asking for email so I can reset my word.

Guess what ! My email is "not in their system"  !!!

I sent them a contact on how this could be seeing as they just emailed me using my old username.

No reply yet  :rolleyes:  . Wondering if the email was really from them or if someone stole their database ?

:msg:

chrisgold.gif

#2 mcf

mcf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

Well here's the update.

Apparently the original Webshots was closed / bought out / taken over .... whatever by American Greetings for $45 million I read !!! Other corporate mergers followed.

From the contact email I got, and a quick search of the internet, I guess Webshots resurrected itself (whois shows registered to Three Fold Photos)

into a wallpaper changing site.  If you didn't login to Webshots at a certain time, all your old photos there were purged.

Interesting article here on this.

http://www.buzzfeed....o-die#.phe1KyJM

Whatever, I guess only the emails of paying members got left in the main database, of Webshots I guess. (the reply was ambiguous). The person who replied to my contact did say an old database had been used recently for a mailing. (Hmmm couldn't have been to all as it was a birthday greeting to me.) 

Anyway the old emails are still there I guess, just not accessible to the old free members. He told me I could sign up again as a free member at Webshots and certain content is available to free members.

He also told me I could download a "desktop" application. A brief search of that implies at one time at least this application included a maleware toolbar !!

It sure is a different site from what I remember 12 years ago, but aren't they all !!

Another interesting link

https://www.flickr.c...57635053483475/

BEWARE - a lot of warnings about fraudulant charges by all sites involved in this mess.

Edited by mcf, 24 May 2015 - 10:31 PM.

chrisgold.gif

#3 Susy

Susy

I brake for furpeoples

• Owner/Admin
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationA purple planet with chocolate truffle rivers

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

Sandy, thanks for posting.

I joined Webshots years and years ago but through all the compie changes, ultimately I just forgot about it.  LOL  Luckily, I never went to their premium, and I think it was my AOL addy I signed up with, and I blocked that addy long ago after I dumped AOL.

It's really a shame good sites sell out without notice and go down the potty.  :(

I sure hope they didn't snark too many people, and most were able to stop any charges.

You know, by this time, the internet laws about this type of thing should have been enacted and enforced.  There shouldn't be any reason people keep being subjected to the piracy.

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale~
Give someone a hug, a smile, a thank you, or a helping hand. It might just make a difference.

**Got a friend? Bring them in. Everyone is welcome. We're more than just an Arcade!**

Invision Power Services

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Global Friends Online